Saturday, February 2, 2008

Living with God.

Since the passing of Doug's grandmother in December, we've had a lot of discussions with the children about her "having a lot of birthdays" (amazing how a concept like 'old' is lost on a 3  year old) and now living with God.  

William is always quick to say that when he has a lot of birthdays, he wants to live with God too.  Thursday we had the discussion all over again, with the usual exuberance.  When the subject changed, I told William and Mary how Robert and I had met some firemen and had seen their truck and what a big adventure that was.  From the back seat, William proudly exclaimed that when he grows up, he wants to be a fireman.  This was the first time he's ever voiced his future profession.  The back seat fell silent after that and several minutes passed before he spoke up again.  

This time he said, "I don't want to go with God."  
"Why not, William?"
"Because I want to be a fireman when I have a lot of birthdays.  I don't want to live with God.  I want to be a fireman."  
He was really excited to hear that he could probably have a lot of birthdays, be a fireman, have a few more birthdays and then go live with God.  

It just makes me smile.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your kids are so sweet and amazing!

I think William will be a good fireman!!!