Friday, February 1, 2008

It's Kindergarten time.

I've been waiting for and dreading the arrival of this time for a few years now.  To tell the truth, I'm still not quite ready for it.  But, Mary has made it quite clear that she is ready to begin Kindergarten.  Yesterday, she read a good portion of Hop on Pop to me.  Today, she brought me a paper that had been in a box of clothes that said "Winter."  She said, "Mom, I spelled winter!  See!  It's winter time and this says winter!"

Since we're homeschooling (which is part of my anxiety about this) we can begin any time we wish, regardless of her age or the season.  So, next week, we embark upon the Kindergarten frontier.  Mary and me, me and Mary.  We're so blessed to have terrific friends who also happen to be our neighbors.  They have a precious little girl, Eleanor who is ready to start Kindergarten too.  The 4 of us, Eleanor and Mary with Melanie and I, will get together this journey.  Our focus is on reading.  Our main goal for kindergarten is to get the girls reading well for the foundation of everything else they'll do.  

We've planned a little math, a little Bible study, and a little reading two days per week, while they are still enrolled in preschool elsewhere.  As the summer arrives and the temperatures rise, we'll increase to 4 or 5 study days a week.  Then in the fall, when the weather is pleasant again, our kids can be outside enjoying the season.  

I'm so proud of Mary.  This is a big step for her...and for me.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

What exciting news about Mary reading Hop on Pop!

Both Eleanor and I are very excited (though Mommy is a bit anxious as well) about starting school next week! What a glorious time in their lives, and ours, this is.

Unknown said...

Good luck to both Mary and Eleanor and good luck to the mommies! I can't wait to hear updates