Monday, October 27, 2008

3³ and an annual affair

Today is our day. It's Doug's and my birthday!

Doug turns a nice cubed number today. I, on the other hand, have hit a prime age...one that by tradition is perpetual bliss for women. So blissful, in fact, that I'll be making this an annual affair. Today is my 1st annual 29th birthday! Until this morning, I was really nervous about turning 29, but today it doesn't seem so bad...must be the bliss. :-)

Our birthday, being on the same day, is like another anniversary for us. Way back in 1996, when Doug and I first met, we exchanged email addresses for a reason I don't remember and chatted a bit. I remember being a bit giddy about talking with him, though admittedly, I only saw him as a classmate. I had never emailed before, so it was new to me and that made the chatting even more exciting. I would anxiously await his replies. I remember asking him to tell me about himself and typical of Doug, the short answer came back, "like what?" He must have had some defining qualities right? But I started by asking when his birthday was. When the reply came back I thought, "This guy is creepy! How does he know when my birthday is and why would he pretend to have the same one?" So I called him on it. Doug, the ever-practical replied, "Why would I lie about my birthday?" I had to spill that Oct 27 was my birthday too. I think I asked him a few more times, "Are you sure that's your birthday?" I just couldn't believe that we shared the same day!! I'd like to say that it was love right then, but that's not true. It certainly did spark a really great friendship. We proceeded to chat for hours on the phone. When I met his mom for the first time, I asked her about his birthday too. It seemed too surreal.

12 years later, it seems so natural to have "our birthday" instead of "mine."

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Happy birthdays to both of you!

As you know, Alan's birthday is the day after mine. When we first met, he somehow figured this out and insisted that we go out to celebrate our birthdays. I was sure that it was just a ploy to get me to go out with him and that his birthday surely wasn't really the very day after mine. He stuck to his story and I finally asked to see his drivers license. Sure enough, there it was in black and white. I went out with him and the rest is history.

I hope you each enjoy a wonderful day today! Happy first annual 29th!

joyce said...

Today is Ben-Ben's 21st birthday. He had your Doug as a birthday buddy even before y'all met. We all have birthday buddies---but, Bob's birthday buddy is General MacArthur, and as you know, General MacArthur is no longer with us.

Happy Birthday, you two !!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! it is funny you guys share a birthday! Now you just need to have a baby on your birthday!

Michelle said...

Hmmm, a baby on your birthday too? Somehow I think the next few days with a fourth little one around the house might postpone the idea of another baby for quite a while! ;)