Monday, November 5, 2007

Mary's Mid-night Mischief

We stayed at Gramma's house on our birthday for Sunday morning convenience and while we were there Mary was sick. She woke up in the middle of the night and came down stairs to find me, but got distracted before she made it to me.

I woke up to find all the lights in the house were on, but it wasn't our house, so I couldn't be sure that Gramma hadn't turned them on herself. Then it was pointed out to me that Mary had raided my purse. Inside, she found a birthday check for Doug and me. Being ever so helpful, she decided to make the check out more clearly for the bank by filling in "Mommy" in her 3 year old hand writing in the Pay to the Order of line. She signed her name in various places and really did the check up right with the purple felt tip pen she found in my purse.

When she appeared on the landing of the stairs something looked a little funny, but I couldn't be sure from such a distance. It was pretty clear once she got close what had happened though. She'd also found my make-up bag and had adorned herself with Mascara. She's not an expert cosmetologist, so her efforts were concentrated on her eyebrows more than her eyelashes. Of course, when we brought it up, she was humiliated. If she hadn't been sick, we would have sent her to Sunday school looking like Groucho Marx. The embarrassment of it all would have been punishment enough. It will all make a rather funny scrapbook page.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Now that is really cute!

Unknown said...

THat is too cute and I can't imagine Mary doing something like that! I see a lot of Doug in her in this picture, usually I just see you but it must be her expression or something. Ohh and it doesn't have anything to do with the mascara

The Hébert Family said...

Hee, hee...that's funny, Casey!

This story is priceless and I cannot wait to see your scrapbook page memorializing it. What a sweet memory! How very objective and wise of you to be able to step back from the moment and take a picture to remember how precious she is, especially amidst her mischief.