Monday, April 27, 2009

It was bound to happen one day...

...and I'm surprised it took 5 1/2 years to finally occur.

I did some laundry last night (ha ha, very funny...it hasn't quite been 5.5 years since I washed last) and pulled the second load out of the dryer. It was a darks load, which included my brand new dark-wash jeans. I was very careful, turned them inside out and meticulously sorted the laundry to prevent bleed problems, even caught and removed the lone white sock that snuck in the machine. Everything looked good when I put it in the dryer. When I opened it up afterward, there was a broken green crayon on top of the lint trap, but still solid! Whew. Then I found a yellow crayon jammed in a groove near the lint trap, also miraculously unmelted! Thank goodness! Yellow and green wax all over our clothes could have been a nightmare!

So, I dropped the next load (whites) in the dryer and went to bed. I opened it up this morning to fold and found green smears all over the dryer insides. The missing piece of the broken green crayon had hidden out somewhere in the dryer. Judging from the piece I removed, it was a maximum of 1/2 inch of green wax, but it sure spread far!! Of course, the crayons remained whole in the dark load, no signs of melting or smearing there, but once I put in the white load, the crayon nub tumbled itself to melty oblivion all over our clothes. Mostly, it's the underwear that were affected. A few white t-shirts have some green smears on the sleeves. What are the odds? Why didn't the crayon melt in the dark load, but reached it's breaking point with the whites?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my goodness, how awful! At least your new jeans weren't ruined!

Lisa said...

Looking back, this isn't the first time I have washed crayons. Last time, however, I washed a whole box of Crayolas and the soggy cardboard strewn in the washing machine tipped me off before I tossed the crayons in the dryer. Also, the "24 count box" gave me a clue about how many I was looking for.

Melanie said...

The silver lining...How many people are going to see your waxy green-streaked underwear? Surely no more than a few at most, right? :-)

joyce said...

Just wait until it is ink pens. Our youngest was famous for leaving them in his jeans pockets when he was in junior high. Blue ink eventually fades from the inside of the dryer.

Bob's watch and cell phone, alas, did not make it.

Unknown said...

I agree with Melanie, look at the silver lining! I hope there weren't anymore crayons!