Wednesday, November 5, 2008

William is Weakening

I've observed a continued weakening in William over the last two
weeks. I've taken the "wait and see" approach to this point because
the neurologist warned us that the next test they perform will be
painful and long and because the last time I took him in, they
admitted him, but he appeared fine the next day. It was 1 month
since his initial admittance and treatment, and it is one month now as
well.

The physical therapist told me today that she feels he is getting
weaker as the days go on and that she is concerned. I knew it and saw
it too. I've called the neurologist's office but am waiting to hear
whether they can work us in for an appointment before December.

He's weak. He's struggling to dress himself again and struggles to
get up when he falls, which is frequent again. He is climbing the
stairs, but it is very slow and labored. He's in pain when I squeeze
or pick him up. I fear we are quickly approaching right back where we
started. He responds well to the IVIG treatment. The other option is
Plasmaphersis, also known as plasma exchange, where they remove blood,
extract his plasma and return the red blood cells, but one method is
not better than the other.

Whatever happens, I just hope he's able to attend his own birthday
party this weekend. Poor guy.

For those interested, some information on GBS

No comments: