Thursday, September 6, 2007

Tuesday, The First Day of School

As promised, Mary and William arrived at school on Tuesday morning eagerly anticipating their day. We were ready and arrived early (unheard of!) and waited for the doors to open. It was quite a juggling act to have all 3 children plus first-day supplies and a camera. I did what I could to catch their bubbly faces in front of the school. William was (presumably) too excited to look my direction, but I managed to nab a quick one of both of them while we waited. I dropped Mary off first and snapped a blurry picture of her with her teacher, but I couldn't hold the teacher there too long with all those kids in her room waiting for her. So, without retaking the photo, it was off to Willam's class juggling more things than I could handle. I snapped a quick picture with Ms. Jeannine too, but William again, wouldn't look my direction. However, both Mary and William settled in quickly with a puzzle at their seats and waved goodbye briefly before turning their focus from me for the next few hours - a few symbolic hours. That short time made their whole future flash before my eyes...Mary will start Kindergarten and then she'll be an awkward teenager, followed by a high school graduation and COLLEGE!! Where has the time gone?

I picked them up and was pleased to see that they were both still enjoying the time without me and relived that they are still age 2 and 3. I asked them about their day, but the details were sketchy until last night, when Daddy came home. Little tidbits spilled out (like Mary leaving her nap mat at the school with the teacher) and I could tell they had really enjoyed their time, even if it was without me.

After we rested for the afternoon, I took the kids out front for a little post-first-day photo shoot. Here are the gems I got...

Mary in a happy, playful mood.


Giggling together...


A hug...


William posing for some sort of fashion magazine...


All in all...a good day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

They look so cute!!! I am glad they had a good first day! I can't believe we have them in pre-school, where has the time gone?

Melanie said...

Great pictures! Of course, it's easy for you with such good-looking subjects!

I empathize with you. It's inconceivable how the baby I was pregnant with last week, the one I brought home from the hospital two days ago, who took her first timid steps just yesterday is already in preschool!

Kristen said...

I'm so glad that the kids had a great first day! They look so happy! I love the picture of Mary hugging William.