Monday, August 27, 2007

Short vowel words

Mary already knows all the sounds of the letters and she was getting quite bored with the first 26 lessons. So, I skipped ahead (just to see) to Lesson 27: Short Vowel words, which was a discussion about how to sound out words and sounding out /at/. That went superbly well so I tacked on Lesson 28: Beginning sounds of /at/ words.

Mary read: mat, fat, rat and hat with no problems. We worked hard on pat and bat because of the truncated sounds of /p/ and /b/.

I'm so proud of her. I've ordered BoB books for her to start with and we're only 10 lessons or so away before she can really start reading books.

What a big little girl I have.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, way to go Mary. I feel like a loser mom b/c Emma is no where near reading

Kristen said...

Yay Mary! What a big girl!

Lisa said...

No, no. I was worried to start Mary reading so soon (though my mom swears we were all potty trained by 18 months and reading before we were 3 - whatever!) because I don't want to push her. But, she's eager and quick at picking it up. She beams when she makes progress - like reading mmmmaaaaaat MAT! yesterday. I don't think it's necessary or prudent to push a child to read this young. Emma will be eager when she's ready and probably progress easily because she'll have that much more maturity. Wait for her - this is one area where she can lead the way without fear.

Unknown said...

So I think Mary will be the best friend who is studious and Emma will be the wild one. At least right now it seems that way!! I see Emma getting Mary in trouble when they are older and I also see Mary trying to talk sense into Emma about having to do homework and not goofing off