Monday, July 13, 2009

Not My Job

We moved into our house at the end of March. Naturally, we had all of the utilities connected or transfered from the builder to us.

Due to some "glitch" TXU has not charged us for any of the electricity we have used since we moved in. I have gotten mail from them in our name and I have an account number. When I call, they verify my name, address, account number, etc, but for some reason we aren't receiving bills. Not only that, when I called the first time, fearing we were headed toward disconnect, I was told my account balance was $0. I was assured, in June, that our next meter reading would be June 22 and surely I would receive a bill then. Naturally, by mid-July it was time to check on things again. So, I got a "brilliant" young girl on the phone who verified my info by read-ing ev-er-y syll-a-ble of the script she was given. She told me my account balance ($0), the date of my next meter reading (July 22), and that I should receive a bill at the end of the month. I mentioned that I was told that in June, but it didn't seem to bother her. Perhaps I could do a little trouble shooting for her...do you have an initial reading? The most recent reading is June 21, but no bill was prepared from that reading.

I don't mind getting free electricity, but eventually these months are going to catch up to us. Our brave girl, tells me it will be no matter, as they have payment options and we can work out something if we can't pay the whole amount, if and when a bill ever arrives. "Is that all?" she asked? I suppose so. I do feel a bit foolish alerting the electric company of their mistake and our great fortune, but I assume that eventually someone will decide it is their job to make sure they get paid for services provided. Until then, I'll keep calling and keeping records and adopt their attitude. It's not my job to make sure I get a bill.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I can't believe that after all those calls they aren't trying to get their money. Usually companies like that will do whatever they can to get their money once they realize they aren't getting it. I am sure someone is going to get in trouble once this is found out. I am sorry you have to do extra work for their mistake.

joyce said...

Dear Lisa, I asked Bob, and this is what he replied: The problem is likely that the developer who built the house is still being billed for the electric usage. Getting the billing straightened out is worth pursuing since the builder is undoubtedly being charged at a higher rate than Doug and Lisa will pay, so the longer this goes, the messier it will be to figure out exactly who owes how much.

Michelle said...

So did you get your end of month July bill?