Thursday, March 12, 2009

The second time around...

The second time around, Berlin has been just as grand as before, but there have been some differences.

1. It's really cold here! It's been in the 30s and lower 40s all week. Now, for some, that's not a matter to complain about, but for we Texans leaving 70-80 degree weather last week in our cozy air conditioned houses, coming to a city to walk around outside all day in the 30 degree weather has been quite a shock. We left our hotel the first morning, thinking it was cold, but our sweaters ought to do us just fine. We made our first 500m trek down the street and past the buildings that were blocking the wind and turned right around to get our coats, scarves and gloves. That was Monday.

2. Also on Monday, we made the whirlwind tour of Berlin's finest sites in record time. When we were here 2 summers ago, we took it slowly, letting the babies set the pace. We enjoyed the sites and lingered at will, but ultimately, we only spent a maximum of 3-4 hours out doors each day in the warm and pleasant sunshine. This time, due to the time crunch of Doug's conference schedule, we visited all the same sites and were pleased to discover that most could be viewed in one full day. So, we began our trek with breakfast and stayed out until well after dark. The only trouble was that we walked that entire time. We estimate that we walked between 7 and 10 miles that day. Sure, some of us are carrying less weight than we were 2 years ago, but 10 miles is a long way for those who normally travel half a mile or less on foot daily. By the time we made it back to the hotel, we were beat. Our feet were swollen and blistered and we were ready to crash for the night. We did enjoy our review of sites, while touring Doug's colleague around for the first time.

3. We've spoken more German this time around too. Partly by necessity, as last time we travelled with native speakers and relied on their expertise. This time, I've found myself in conversations with several others and have enjoyed the practice, though I feel myself butchering the language as it comes out. I hear it correctly in my head and even dream in German while I'm here, but it falls apart somewhere between my head and mouth.

4. I've explored a bit of Berlin on my own this time since Doug is at the conference each day. I'm reminded of my first travels to Europe. I rarely travelled without friends, but I did take a few lonely adventures to Germany when my friends didn't want to return with me. I've decided that I like having a travel partner and the sites and surroundings just aren't the same alone. I did enjoy the audio tour through the Palace Charlottenburg today. It was the perfect leisurely stroll for my sore feet and the voice in the headphones kept me company while I admired the Baroque and Rococo delights inside the restored palace.

5. Since the near foot explosion of the first day, we have made more use of our 7-day transportation passes. Wow, what a difference! My feet have not recovered fully, so I'm so glad for the relief of walking across the city.

It is late at night here now and I am waiting for a load of laundry to dry in a dryer designed in a culture that line dries their clothes. Given the cold and rainy weather outside, we don't stand a chance of wearing those jeans tomorrow unless the dryer kicks into gear soon. Hopefully, I will find the dryer has done it's job and I can go to bed!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Sounds like a really neat trip! The audio tour sounds lovely. I'm envious of your language skills - I wish I'd had better opportunities to improve and use my French.

If it makes you feel any better, it's been in the 30s here in Dallas the last few days, too!

Unknown said...

WOW, I can't believe how cold it is but it is cold here too. Hopefully when you return it will be warm again. I can't wait to see the pictures you take! I loved the pics of your last trip, it is such a beautiful place to take pictures of. I hope you guys are having fun and I hope it wamrs up. I also hope that your jeans were able to dry!