Friday, August 17, 2007

E and I

We combined the lessons for E and I today, which would have been a good idea except that I also included William. He is too silly and distracting to allow Mary to focus. Mary already knows the short-vowel sounds of these letters otherwise, she would not have done as well today with William present.

We'll repeat the lessons alone on Monday (perhaps Saturday if she's willing) to really reinforce without distraction.

Today's verses were:
A is the first vowel we will say,
/ă/ is the short vowel sound of A.
E is the next vowel, don't you see.
/ĕ/ is the short vowel sound of E.
I is the third vowel that goes by.
/ĭ/ is the short vowel sound of I.

Does anyone have any ideas to keep William occupied (he really can't even be in the same room) while Mary and I complete her lessons? It takes about 15 minutes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

maybe do the lesson right before nap time and put William down first?

Kristen said...

Maybe set William up to watch a DVD while doing the lesson?

The Hébert Family said...

I have a "learning closet" full of resources left over from my teaching days (books, manipulatives, etc.). Eleanor does not have access to the LC and I use it only when teaching or when in a pinch for an activity to keep her occupied and engaged while I do something else. Since the toys in there are all relatively unknown and new to her, it works every time. You are welcome to borrow from it if you would like.

Another idea is that William could come over here to play for a few minutes while Mary has her lesson. We're almost always here in the afternoons so that Thomas can nap. If you'd like to take advantage of our proximity, you are welcome to!

Lisa said...

Hmmm...good thought Melanie. I probably have some things that William can do that would be new to him. I hesitate to pull out the play dough, but that might do the trick this week.